Sunday, October 19, 2014

Attention to Detail is Important

ATTENTION TO DETAIL IS IMPORTANT                                                    By Sam Parker

A recent fancy dinner reminded me of a story about my entitled 20­something youth ... a time when I thought the world was here to serve me (when I was a bit more of an brat than I am now ... I think).

It was the beautifully aligned glasses across the open table that gave me the flashback.

I must have been about 24 (how sweet the sound). I was selling insurance. To supplement my income, I waited tables in a popular restaurant in Washington D.C. (Georgetown). On this particular shift, I was standing around doing nothing and the manager (a young person, as well) came to me and said...  

"If you don't have anything else to do right now, in your section, make sure all the place settings are aligned nicely. I want you to imagine a string held over your row of tables, above the glasses. Those glasses should be perfectly aligned. Understand?" 

It's possible she added a please or two but I'm sure I didn't hear it.

I remember thinking (and saying with my eyes, I'm sure), "You're a fanatic." I remember being angry and thinking her request was just busywork.

And now, like so many things with an added quarter century of experience, if I were to see a video of my response, I'm sure I'd be embarrassed.

She was serious about her work. And now, she's the reason I like going to particular restaurants, shopping at particular stores, and working with particular people and companies.

Attention to detail. Care. To a fanatical level.  

I know it's a long shot, but if you're reading this and you think you're the "fanatic" I'm writing about (you were a manager at J. Paul's in the early 90s), please call or email me. I'd love to send you an apology gift. Really.

Sam (the guy behind this stuff)
SamParker@GiveMore.com  |  804­762­4500 ext. 303

P.S. If you're a leader (with a title or not), what are you doing on a regular basis (an all­ the­ time thing) to inspire that deeper care and attention that we all want (inspire ... not control)? Call or email anytime. I'd love to hear what's working for you.

One or two of my books (below) might be helpful to you. Sometimes people are more open to the "let's get fanatical" message when it comes from someone not so close to the situation.  

Ideas and thoughts to help everyone stay focused on the good things that bring great results... 

No comments:

Post a Comment